Description: Elliot is a brilliant introverted young programmer who works as a cyber-security engineer by day and vigilante hacker by night. He also happens to be suffering from a strange condition similar to schizophrenia which he futilely tries to keep under control by regularly taking both legal and illegal drugs and visiting his therapist. When a strange feisty young woman named Darlene and a secretive middle-aged man calling himself Mr. Robot, who claims to be the mysterious leader of an underground hacking group known as F-Society, offer Elliot a chance to take his vigilantism to the next level and help them take down E-Corp, the corrupt multi-national financial company that Elliot works for and likes to call Evil Corp, Elliot finds himself at the crossroads. Mr. Robot, who has personal reasons for wanting to take down E-Corp, also reveals that he already has one ally, an even more mysterious, secretive and highly dangerous shadowy hacking group known only as Dark Army. Meanwhile, Elliot’s …
Creator: Sam Esmail
Stars: Rami Malek, Christian Slater, Carly Chaikin
- Our democracy has been hacked.
- Power belongs to the people that take it.
- Creator Sam Esmail made this show after being disappointed with the poor portrayal of computer hacking.
- The main cast along with creator Sam Esmail went to hacking seminars in preparation for their roles. In addition, Rami Malek had a typing instructor to prepare scenes involving programming.
- On July 21, 2016, a virtual reality episode of Mr. Robot was created for fans and was found in the Within VR app. The episode is available on YouTube.
- Every episode name in Season 2 ends in an “encrypted file” format. Whereas every episode in Season 1 uses a “video file” format.
- In the first season, actor Rami Malek (Elliot) used crushed vitamin B pills for scenes where he sniffs morphine, and used a special device hidden in his sleeve to vacuum the powder. He also allegedly used it to prank people off-set by lining up extraordinarily long lines of powder and “sniffing” them.
- Elliot’s black hoodie is from Rami Malek’s own personal wardrobe.
- Elliot (Rami Malek) and Darlene (Carly Chaikin) use the Python and Ruby programming languages for creating their various hacks and exploits.
- There were 164 actors brought in before Sam Esmail and producers decided on Rami Malek.
- For the sitcom sequence in the second season, creator Sam Esmail and his crew researched and consulted with other crew members who worked on 80’s/90’s multi-camera sitcoms, as well as learning how to film an episode in that format. For authenticity, Beta tapes and cameras were used to film the sequence as well as playing laugh tracks on-set.