Description: Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are both brilliant physicists working at Cal Tech in Pasadena, California. They are colleagues, best friends, and roommates, although in all capacities their relationship is always tested primarily by Sheldon’s regimented, deeply eccentric, and non-conventional ways. They are also friends with their Cal Tech colleagues mechanical engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. The foursome spend their time working on their individual work projects, playing video games, watching science-fiction movies, or reading comic books. As they are self-professed nerds, all have little or no luck with women. When Penny, a pretty woman and an aspiring actress from Omaha, moves into the apartment across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon’s, Leonard has another aspiration in life, namely to get Penny to be his girlfriend.
Creators: Chuck Lorre, Bill Prady
Stars: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco
- Smart Is The New Sexy.
- When beauty meets the brains.
- -Most of the time, Leonard (Johnny Galecki) has no lenses in his glasses.
- Mayim Bialik is the only cast member to have a PhD. In 2008, she completed her neuroscience studies and earned her PhD in Neuroscience.
- Jim Parsons’ audition for the role of Dr. Sheldon Cooper was so good that creator Chuck Lorre immediately asked him to come in for a second one, because Lorre wanted to be one hundred percent sure Parsons was as brilliant as he seemed. After the second audition went perfectly, Lorre cast him on the spot.
- Sheldon (Jim Parsons) can be seen wearing various versions of “Flash” t-shirts throughout the series. In the series The Flash (2014), character Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes) frequently wears “The Big Bang Theory”-based shirts, such as one with Sheldon’s catchphrase “Bazinga!”
- Laurie Metcalf, who plays Sheldon’s mother Mary Cooper, is the mother of Zoe Perry, who plays Sheldon’s mother Mary Cooper on Young Sheldon (2017).
- Raj (Kunal Nayyar)’s inability to talk to women except when consuming alcohol is based on an old co-worker of executive producer Bill Prady when he worked at a computer company.
- During a first season episode Raj (Kunal Nayyar), Leonard (Johnny Galecki), and Howard (Simon Helberg) are trying to find a fourth person to replace Sheldon (Jim Parsons) on their physics bowl team. Raj suggests Mayim Bialik, saying, “You know who’s apparently very smart, is the girl who played TV’s Blossom (1990). She got a PhD. in neuroscience or something.” Leonard responds, “Raj, we’re not getting TV’s Blossom to join our physics bowl team.” During season three, Bialik started playing the regular role of Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler on the show. She had actually never seen an episode of the show before, and was completely unaware of the fact that she had once been mentioned in it. The creators decided to give Dr. Fowler a PhD. in Neurobiology, a.k.a. Neuroscience, just like Bialik has in real life.