Description: Shaun Murphy, a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome, relocates from a quiet country life to join a prestigious hospital surgical unit. Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the skepticism of his colleagues.
Creator: David Shore
Stars: Freddie Highmore, Antonia Thomas, Hill Harper
- Freddie Highmore revealed that he was initially turned down for the role of Shaun Murphy, being deemed too young. The producers told him they wanted someone who was at least 25, he replied with “but I AM 25.”
- Nicholas Gonzalez (Dr. Melendez) comes from a medical family, his father and brother both being surgeons and his mother a bookkeeper at South Texas Radiology (San Antonio). His brother acted as an uncredited medical consultant to him on set.
- On the donor wall of the set for San Jose St. Bonaventure Hospital is a placard that reads “The Bates Family,” a nod to actor Freddie Highmore’s role as Norman Bates in Bates Motel (TV Series 2013-2017)
- All three of the actors playing the surgical residents were born in London, UK. Freddie Highmore and Antonia Thomas both use American accents, while Chuku Modu speaks naturally.
- Based on a South Korean show Good Doctor (2013) where the main character is Park Shi Ohn. His given name can be broken down to Shi — to see and Ohn — the whole or entirety. The main character’s name in the US show is both an actual western name and a transliteration of the original.