Description: Yellowstone follows the Dutton family, led by John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States, under constant attack by those it borders – land developers, an Indian reservation, and America’s first National Park. It is an intense study of a violent world far from media scrutiny – where land grabs make developers billions, and politicians are bought and sold by the world’s largest oil and lumber corporations. Where drinking water poisoned by fracking wells and unsolved murders are not news: they are a consequence of living in the new frontier. It is the best and worst of America seen through the eyes of a family that represents both.
Creators: Taylor Sheridan, John Linson
Stars: Kevin Costner, Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly
- This series is shot in Utah and Montana.
- The Yellowstone ranch brand is a “Hooked Rocking Y”. There are various sources available on the proper ways to read livestock brands.
- There was controversy after casting was announced that Kelsey Asbille would be playing the Native American wife of a main character. Kelsey Asbille (full name Kelsey Asbille Chow) is of mixed race Asian American and she has claimed to be descended from the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians, but the tribe issued a statement saying they have no record of Chow, nor did they find any evidence that she is a descendant. As a result of the casting, prominent people in the Native American community called for a boycott, asking Native American actors to stay away from the Yellowstone project.
- Gil Birmingham, Kelsey Asbille, Martin Sensmeier and Ian Bohen previously appeared in the film Wind River (2017) which was directed by Taylor Sheridan who is also the creator, executive producer and writer of the show.
- Although “Yellowstone” is set in Montana, 95% of Yellowstone National Park lies within the state of Wyoming. Roughly 4% of YNP lies within Montana and about 1% is in Idaho. However, the name “Yellowstone” in the show has nothing to do with the National Park, It is the name of the ranch.
- Kevin Costner and Ian Bohen previously worked together in the 1994 western film Wyatt Earp (1994); Costner had the role of Wyatt Earp while Bohen only had a minor role as Young Wyatt Earp.
- Maynard James Keenan, of music groups Tool, A Perfect Circle and Puscifer has multiple songs on the soundtrack for Yellowstone Season 1. On Episode 1 – A Perfect Circle “Judith” and Puscifer “Tumbleweed”. On Episode 3 – Puscifer “The Humbling River”. On Episode 8 – Puscifer “Green Valley” and Puscifer “Grand Canyon”.